Friday, June 29, 2012

LET'S BE HONEST, IT'S PROBABLY A BAD IDEA FOR ME TO WRITE BOOK REVIEWS


Greetings,

Based off a low ball estimate, I think I have traveled well over 500 miles on foot over the last few months.  Be it running beaches, hiking mountains, or walking across South Africa.  That said, I found myself daydreaming about what exactly a pedicure was and how much my feet would enjoy one.  I decided to walk down to the oceanfront resort/spa across the way from my $8/night hostel in hopes of finding out.  There were 3 Thai women working in the spa.  I politely told them my feet needed some love.  I'm not entirely sure if we were all on the same page.  Perhaps they misunderstood me as my sheepish request probably sounded more like a question than a declarative statement. "I'd like a pedicure", with my voice rising as if asking a question that I didn't really want answered, but I wasn't.  I WANTED one… However, after the women asked to see my feet, the three of them responding with resounding NOs.  In all honesty, my feet look pretty good.  They really do.  Like, I should be modeling Crocks or something.  I don't get it.  I left the spa.   I guess I'll never know what a pedicure is all about.  That may be for the best.   Simply admitting such a desire, may result in me having to turn in my man card.  I'll acknowledge that.  Oh well.   Add that to the list of questionably unmanly decisions I have made over the years.  I won't list the others.  Many of you are aware of them.

Some have asked what I have been reading lately.  Since leaving Boston, I have knocked off

Into The Wild
Jon Krakauer

The Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons
Dan Brown

We Need To Talk About Kevin
Lionel Shriver

Conversations With Myself
President Nelson Mandela

The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins

127 Hours: Between A Rock And A Hard Place
Aron Rolston

West of Jesus
Steven Kotler
I only read half the book as I left it in an airport bathroom.  I think.  Sorry Pete

I wish I'd have read more, but most nights when I'm done tackling the day, I just fall asleep immediately.  However, I'd recommend all of the above.

The Hunger Games and Dan Brown's books purely for cheap and easy entertainment.  1st crack at Hunger Games and Angels & Demons.  2nd read for The Da Vinci Code

Conversations With Myself by President Nelson Mandela is an experience difficult for me to put into words,  It's almost as if while reading this book, I felt at times like I was sitting down listening to President Mandela speak to me himself.  If you have a pulse, this book will have you on the brink of tears as often as it has you fist pumping.  Mandela's endless courageous efforts in his ongoing battle for a better South Africa will blow your mind.  It's unreal.  He is why I went to South Africa.  Period.  Second time reading it.
  
We Need To Talk About Kevin  by Lionel Shriver was also fascinating.  I had to remind myself time and time again that this book is fiction.  However, it ties in endless real life stories.  Is there some category between fiction and non fiction?  I'm not a librarian.  I don't know.  It's written from a mother's point of view as she reflects on her son being the gunman in a high school shooting in the late 90s.  Was she to blame? Could she have raised her son differently??etc..  Those approximately my age, I think will find this to be a fascinating read.  It reaches deep into the culture of our adolescent stage in the late 1990s.  Dawson's Creek, Stairway To Heaven being played at school dances, emergence of NEEDing cell phones etc etc..Columbine, Jonesboro, and all the other high school shootings that seemed to never end, which coincide with the years I was in high school are also heavily discussed.  Almost every page seemed to elicit an "Oh yeah!  I remember that, moment.  Some good.  Some bad.

Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer chronicles Christopher McCandless' endless quest to find happiness and fulfillment in his life.   His journey for this takes him just as much inbetween his own ears as it does into the wild.  This is my favorite book.  I'll leave it at that.  Probably my 10th time reading it.

Between A Rock And A Hard Place by Aron Rolston is also up there on my list.  Some of you may recall that I was asked to give a speech to some school children while I was teaching in South Africa.  I was asked to talk about believing in yourself and never giving up.  Aron Ralston and President Mandela were who I anchored me speech to.  They faught very different fights but used many of the same strengths to win them.  Ralston's account of how he escaped almost certain death while trapped in a canyon in Utah, is riveting stuff.  Cutting his own arm off with a swiss army knife to survive.  Talk about the will to live.  Again, this is the man that the film 127 Hours is based on.  Read the book first if possible.

That's all I have.  I don't think the NY Times will be calling asking for me to write any reviews anytime soon.

Mark/Chops

PS.. just finished watching the Portugal-Spain EuroCup game at 4AM in the Bangkok Airport.  Thailand was great, but I am on the move!  As for the game, there was more bellyflopping than at an adolescent pool party.  Makes it so hard to watch.  Sorry for your loss Cardoso :(  I still love you.

PPS

Here is a Youtube video of me doing some pad drills at the end of one of my 2hour full contact kick boxing practices.  It isn't great, but it is something.  If you look closely, there is a guy shadow boxing in the mirror behind me.  That's Ivan Drago, the Ukranian who knocked me out.  Damn him! Thanks to the kind german woman who videotaped me secretly from her lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msiJPYCcQzI

Also, if you put clemsoncrewman1 into the search box in youtube, you can find a few other short clips I was able to upload. great white shark diving, hiking the himalayans etc..

PPS 
There are some experiences in life that we are truly fortunate to be a part.  This weekend, for me, is one of them.  Family and friends folks.  That's what it's all about.  Stay tuned for ridiculousness.





Thailand Farewell Dinner! 4 out of 6 of us were battling Thailand's finest stomach virus.  I was one of the 4.


The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days

No comments: