Thursday, June 14, 2012

BYE BYE BANGKOK

Hello All,

I did another 10 miles or so on foot today taking a look around Bangkok.  It was 97* out.  No big deal.  I started my day by buying a new camera to replace my broken one.  At a REAL store.  I'm sure it is fake and will be broken by the weekend.  I bought a new tripod too!  The woman asked for 400 Baht ($12 give or take).  I held out a 100 Baht and started to walk away.  She took it!  Everything is bartering here.  I guess everything except McDonalds.  Subsequently, the tripod broke as I attempted to use it for the very first time!  This was approximately 7 minutes after I bought it.   Anyone have a grasp on consumer protection laws in Thailand?? I had not even made it out of the mall!  $3 gone.  I'm blaming scientology and Tom Cruise.

I then went to a Museum.  Yes, you read that correctly.  The Bangkok Art & Culture Center.  That's a museum, right?  There are a few pictures below.  Not a bad effort seeing as picture taking wasn't allowed.  My apologies to The King.

I looked at the art for about an hour.   I found this somewhat enjoyable.  I really did.  I then took to just sitting and reflecting for another hour and enjoyed that as well.  I think this could work for me back in the states.  I am always so busy running from one thing to the next.   Maybe sometimes just sitting still and relaxing can be a good thing.  Today it was.

That's all I have.  Bangkok is not for me.   I have not taken in fresh air or seen a tree in 3 days.  Also, I'm finding the sheer volume of humans and the smell, dizzying.

I can't believe I spent a whole day doing the crap you will see below.  I need to get out of here.  I'm leaving on the first mode of transportation I can find that doesn't have livestock, dead or alive, sitting in 1st class with me.

Mark/Chops

PS, Last night I watched two of my roommates comb their hair for 20 minutes before going out for the night.  Worth noting, they each have about an inch of hair max.  They then went hog wild with body spray.  I'm glad they didn't ask me to go out with them.  I don't think getting caught at a middle school dance would have been good for my image... What? Where else could they have gone after those lady killer moves?


THE GUY ON THE LEFT IS TALLER, HAS BETTER HAIR, AND STRONGER CHEEKBONES.
 My favorite painting at the Bangkok Art & Culture Center:

I KNOW, I HAVE A LOT OF GROWING UP TO DO.  YET ANOTHER ESTABLISHMENT THAT LOVED MY ATTIRE. I BALANCED MY CAMERA ON A SCULPTURE THAT SAID DO NOT TOUCH.

THERE WAS A WHOLE WING OF THESE THINGS IN THE MUSEUM.

The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days

No comments: