Thursday, June 7, 2012

I'M A LOVER, NOT A FIGHTER


Hi everyone,

Despite what some of may you think (particularly those I have been on athletic fields/hockey rinks with in the past), I am a lover, not a fighter.  If given the opportunity to try and sweep a woman off her feet, I'd take that chance a million times out of a million, over the chance of knocking a guy out.  No question about it.  I'm a romantic.  I dream of this and will always go down with a fight trying to do it. That said, I have arrived at the foothills of the Himalayas in Northern Thailand looking to fight.  Not for love, but with my fists.

One of the best books I have ever read was A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan.  Aside from him being a Harvard grad, I have always felt like I can relate to Sam.  He considered himself to be an average athlete, but tougher than an average athletic.  He loves to push himself to his limits.  Now, I  like to think I am tough, but who really knows.  The jury is still out on that one.  Sam is fascinated with the art/discipline of different fighting styles.  So am I.  So is Paul Talkowski!  Hi Paul!  Sam traveled the world learning these disciplines and ultimately, got in the ring to put what he learned to the test. (boxing,wrestling,karate,muay thai etc)    Let me STRESS that I don't condone violence.  As far as I am concerned, there is  no room for it in society.   However, I feel fighting has its place in very controlled environments (hockey rinks, boxing, MMA Ultimate Fighting etc) It's there, that I find it to be exhilarating and fascinating.  My opinion is that these platforms may in fact be violent, but it isn't violence.  There is a big difference there.  At least in my mind, there is.  I have always regretted how my prep school wrestling career ended.  To some extent, it was over before it started.   Sadly, it had nothing to do with wrestling.  Adolescence and a weak mind derailed what could have been.  That has always been something that I have regretted in life and it is time for me to get back in the ring!  I have always felt like I had something to prove to myself and I'm going to try to do just that.  I got a quick taste of boxing before I left the states and now it's Muay Thai time. 

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muay_Thai

I am here to study,train, and get in the ring to test my physical and mental fortitude when pushed to my limits.  I know it is so cliche to say that adversity reveals someone's true colors, but I believe that to be true.  I have seen some of my colors, but want to see them all.  Whether in competition or life, I have and will continue to deal with adversity.  That's life.  I hope that by challenging myself in this regard, my efforts will pay off in the future when I am slightly better suited at handling the challenges life brings my way.  The best way for me to clear my head has always been to get hit in it.  I think that is why I am addicted to physical activities.

I am also here in Thailand to take some time to reflect.  Much like where I was in Africa, I get the sense that many of the local cultures I will encounter, however different they may be in many ways from my own, find fulfillment in doing what makes them happy.  This part of the world in many ways is like stepping into a time warp to a simpler way of life.  I want to hop in and see what I can learn from it all.

Mark/Chops

PS.. I was hoping I could learn to speak fluent Thai on my flight from Sydney to Chiang Mai, Thailand.  Afterall, I had 18 hours.  As I am sure it will come as no surprise to anyone, that didn't work.  Damn Rosetta Stone!  Also, after reading 400 pages of my Lonely Planet guide book to Thailand, I sadly learned that my number one survival technique/asset is being taken away from me here in Southeast Asia!  Charm!  I read that I should only flirt with a woman here if I intend to marry her.  YIKES!  Otherwise, it is unacceptable in this culture.  What about flirting to get fresh water, food, and directions in English?!?!  Hatchy Matchy.  This is going to be interesting.

Off to find something to eat.... 


Good Luck Keith!


The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days

No comments: