Thursday, April 19, 2012

Incidentally, you may find that the cell is an ideal place to learn to know yourself, to search realistically and regularly the process of your own mind and feelings.  In judging our progress as individuals we tend to concentrate on external factors such as one's social position, influence and popularity, wealth and standard of education.  These are, of course, important in measuring one's success in material matters and it is perfectly understandable if many people exert themselves mainly to achieve all these.  But internal factors may be even more crucial in assessing one's development as a human being.  Honesty, sincerity, simplicity, humility, pure generosity, absence of vanity, readiness to serve others - qualities which are within easy reach of every soul - are the foundations of one's spiritual life.  Development in matters of this nature is inconceivable without serious introspection, without knowing yourself, your weaknesses and mistakes.  At least if for nothing else, the cell gives you the opportunity to look daily into your entire conduct, to overcome the bad and develop whatever is good in you.  Regular meditation, say about 15 minutes a day before you turn in, can be very fruitful in this regard.  You may find it difficult at first to pinpoint the negative features in your life, but the 10th attempt may yield rich rewards.  Never forget that a saint is a sinner who keeps on trying.

Nelson Mandela

This passage is one that I have read dozens of times if not more.  President Mandela penned this to his wife while sitting in a prison cell on February 1, 1975.  He would spend another 15 years in prison.  If there were one man past or present other than my Dad that I could have dinner with, it would be President Mandela.  For a million reasons.

I am here in South Africa looking to find something.  Tomorrow, I will be taking a boat to Robben Island for an experience that I have been dreaming about for most of my adult life.  I will sit in President Mandela's prison cell, close my eyes, and take it from there.  I am here in South Africa to give whatever it is that I can to make our world a better place.  I am here in South Africa to try and make myself a better man.  I am not suggesting these things will happen with a visit.  One day at a time...  and I couldn't think of a better place or time to start.

Starting this week, I am teaming up with an organization called The Kusasa Project.  They do some amazing work.  As I have said, I am both humbled and priviledged to be a part of something like this and the fire inside me cannot wait to begin.

http://www.thekusasaproject.org/

Goodnight and Cheers,

Mark/Chops

Took in the sunset from the deck of a Catamaran while cruising around the Victoria and Andrew Harbor in Cape Town, South Africa.




The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days


No comments: