Monday, April 9, 2012

I landed in San Jose, Costa Rica at about 1AM safe and sound!  Never having left the country before, I had no idea what to expect with Customs.  As it turns out, I could have smuggled VW Bugs or livestock into Costa Rica and nobody would have known/cared.  The entire process literally took 10 seconds.  No questions asked.  Passport stamped.  I was told I could go.

I thought better about catching the $150 2AM ride to La Fortuna and decided to camp out until morning at the airport.  I was expecting to be the only one catching a few Zsss at the baggage carousel until I turned a corner and BAM!! There were about a dozen men and women sound asleep inside their surfboard bags!  They looked like they were camped out for Sox playoff tickets!  I fell asleep with a grin on my face just thinking about how I am going to get my butt kicked by the waves here as soon as I make it to the water. 

I just used Google to translate breakfast options for myself.  Looks like I am going to try two orders of french toast and some ham and eggs.  Something tells me this meal isn't going to look like it came from IHOP....

Ok, just ordered.  I think my BC High spanish teacher just rolled over in her grave as she listened to me try to be  charming asking for eggs.  I'm fairly certain that the waitress thinks that I just landed on planet earth this morning and took a crash coursed with Rosetta Stone as my spaceship was descending.

In an hour I am catching a ride to La Fortuna. 


I think it will be 3-4 hours.  Let's hope breakfast agrees with me!!

Adios

2 comments:

Keith_McGilvery said...

Hopefully you are better at surfing than you are at bowling! Again, Good luck, have fun and be safe. Love, Keith

liz a said...

Mark Go to miguel antonio national park on the west cost if you can (near Quepos) it is great! http://www.manuelantoniocostarica.com/cr/default.asp
Travel safe!
-Liz Adams