Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Evening!


I started the day with my 3rd grade English Class.  I was asked to use my imagination and come up with a story to tell the kids about stepmothers.  After mashing pieces together from Cinderella, Snow White, and the movie Step Brothers, the kids laughed a little.  I won't concern myself with whether they were laughing with or at me.  

From there I went to 6th and 7th grade maths.  (Math is called Maths here.  Who knew?)  Class was spent working on recognizing/producing equivalent fractions.  4/8 = 8/X  etc.  This turned into one of my prouder moments thus far.  With a combination of some arrows, frowns, smiles, and fist pumps, the two boys I had been working with took hold of this concept and ran with it.  They then solved a problem in front of their whole class!  Mind you there were 61 kids in it !  They were so proud and I was so proud of them!

After that, it was time for preschool again!  I kind of feel like Billy Madison as I sit in these tiny desks everyday.  If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis.  Upon my arrival, one of the boys cut his hand on some scissors.    Protocol here is to assume everyone has HIV/Aids.  It's terribly sad to think that way, but necessary.  Following this unfortunate incident, I did my best to extend recess for as long as possible.  I swear, I didn't hear the bell ring...

After lunch, I joined up with the after school study program.  Here, I worked with a girl in the 11th grade.  Her assignment was to read an article on gender inequalities in society.  We both read the article and had a fascinating follow up discussion.  Passion took flight on both ends, and with it our conversation lasted about an hour.  It was heartbreaking to listen to her explain that she thinks that when the time comes, she won't have much of a choice with regards to having a baby of her own or not.  She also discussed glass ceilings and the culture of her environment that lead to a crippling effect on a woman's ability to rise out from their township.  She is so bright and does very well in school, but it seems as though she has come to terms that she has no control over her own future.   I just want to pick her up and drop her off at some college/university.  I have no doubt that she could move mountains given the chance.  I told her to fight to beat the odds.  I found myself praying that she will.  That all these children will.

I really don't want to think about leaving these kids…

I am super sick which stinks and I burnt my hand in the kitchen this morning.  Other than that, I had another great day!

Cheers,
Mark/Chops 

The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days


Jennye and Mal, don't check my maths!  Slindokuhle is a 15yr old boy who volunteers to get up early and serve all his classmates breakfast.   Nobody asks him to.  Great kid!



Total Chaos!  My favorite thing going on here is my lady friend with the pink winter hat on.  She has had on the same winter jacket and hat all week.  It has been about 75* and sunny during the school day.  Beyond adorable.


some of the other teachers called attention to the fact that Abinathi (in my left arm) and I have very similar handwriting... deny .. deny.. deny.. I think my guy in the yellow is doing WWE wrestling moves.  He is always fighting invisible enemies!

No comments: