Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Art Teacher, Librarian, Astronomer! No Big Deal!

Malo ( Hello in Xhosa),

I met Sintu this morning at 6:45 to give a hand serving porridge at the elementary school before class.  At first it was too many cooks in the kitchen and I was certain I was in the way.  After I picked up on what needed to be done, I was only kind of in the way.  I think I botched today's effort but will be ready to go tomorrow.  After serving the final boy his breakfast, the kids grabbed a bowl and poured some for me.  It was very touching.

After breakfast, I took on the same class of 3rd graders that I had yesterday and we read to one another.  I was very impressed at how well the students read.  However, after digging a little deeper, their reading comprehension was a bit of a different story.  It is a work in progress.  We will work on this!

I then spent a few hours down at the preschool.  This is quickly becoming my favorite place to pitch in.  The kids are amazing for so many reasons.  The highlight of my day here was probably doing the monkey bars successfully while having four 4-5yr olds hanging from my neck, belt, and legs.  I also conducted a "how to tie your shoes clinic".  Who knows how much I helped with this effort seeing as I don't tie my shoes like anyone else I know.  Bless these children that were left under my supervision.

I had lunch on the front lawn of the town hall.  A rotisserie chicken and a croissant.  I am falling in love with croissants.  

From here, I was sent to the library!  Librarian for the afternoon!  I dominated.  Seriously though, talk about a fish out of water.  I spent an hour or so working my way through the stacks organizing books by .... well I didn't have a clue, so I chose size. Biggest books first and then smaller and smaller.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  I am sure I will be fired from this task in no time.  

I then made my way back to the elementary school just in time to be the official assistant to the Art Director.  No big deal.  For the next six weeks, the kids will be treated to art classes with Frances, a volunteer from the UK.  Frances is incredibly talented both with her art and her ability to connect with the children.  I don't have an ounce of artistic/creative talent.  I'm fairly certain that Frances thought that my design was the worst thing she has ever seen.  Ever.  I am going to blame it on the fact that my knees sat a foot above the desk I had to work at and it has been a while since I have used crayons.  However, the children dominated and enjoyed every second of the class!

It is official.  After being the tissue passer outer at preschool yesterday, I am sick as a dog.  I'm going to fight through it though.  Time to head to the pharmacy to buy more drugs labeled in Afrikaans!

How are you all doing? Any updates to report on your end? Let me know.   mmcgilv@gmail.com

PS, It has been stunning here during the day but cold cold cold at night.  Mind you I am in the mountains and the seasons are opposite from the US.  My cabin doesn't have a fireplace.  I'm contemplating using my fire starter tonight to torch the bunkbed next to me to keep warm.  Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Mark/Chops

Breakfast for a a few hundred!

I was Assistant Art Director.  The assignment was... well, I am not entirely sure.  The kids' work looked much better than mine.

When I got home tonight, the gate was locked... wondering if this was because I climbed through a window last night to get in....

Debated eating a few grapes...

I am not going to pretend to know a thing about astronomy.  However, unless that's a UFO to the right of the moon, I think I discovered a new planet!



The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days

1 comment:

Keith_McGilvery said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. Good luck with the kids and your art projects! Enough with all the personal digs at yourself! What are you doing well? Have you signed up for 6 weeks too?

Keith