Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cheetahs are like women: Pretty and Pretty scary!


4-21-12
Bear (Gareth) and I started our day with a great run here in Stellenbosch.  The route he took me on had the Stellenbosch Mountain Range to our right and the campus of Stellenbosch University below us to the left.  Unfortunately there was some cloud cover over part of the mountain range, but we had a great take of the campus down below.  It actually reminded me quit a bit of Clemson's campus.  There were plenty of athletic fields, parks, and the campus looked alive!  My favorite site was probably the University's rugby stadium.    Maybe I'll go out for the team next semester.  Ok, probably not.. I am hoping to at least catch a game while I am here though.

After my run and a quick shower, Dari took me to South Africa's Navy Shipyard at Gordon's Bay.  This was about 20 minutes down the coastline from Stellenbosch.  Here, you can see where the mountains just climbed out from the sea and ascend into the clouds!  It was stunning!

After Gordon's Bay, we went to see some Cheetahs!!  The cost for entering the park? 5 Rand.  Or less than $1!  This was the best 80 cents I have ever spent!  I was so excited to see the animals!  I was contemplating entering the reserve/grounds they were being held on.  Believe it or not, entering on foot is allowed.  However, a few moments later, a very docile cheetah that was just bathing in the sun slowly got up and the next thing I knew, it had pounced from quite a distance away and landed directly on the mesh fence that separated Dari and me from him!  I think it came after us because Dari had on a cheetah patterned shirt (true) and the big cat was looking for a new blonde girlfriend!  The claws from his paws stuck 2 inches through the fence and landed a foot from our faces! Yikes!  I decided to pass on going into the cage.  I cannot believe this is even allowed.  The speed at which the cheetah went from laying in the sun to in my face was mind-blowing.  So cool.  So scary.  After changing my boxers, we went to a bird sanctuary and saw native eagles, vultures, and owls etc.  This was also fascinating but couldn't hold a candle to the Cheetahs.

We then made our way home just in time to join Bear and watch the city of Durban's rugby team, The Sharks, play a game against some team from New Zealand. (on tv) It was very entertaining.  I kept thinking people were going to die because the hits were huge and there are no pads whatsoever.  Great game but the pride of Durban lost.  I'm just now settling down for the night with a pizza and the FC Barcelona v Real Madrid game!  Messi v Cristiano!  Should be a great game.

Cheers
Mark/Chops

PS , Dari had me eat a Bull's tongue today.  I guess it's similar to beef jerky.  I was scared but not quite as scared as my close call with the Cheetah.  I ate it.  It was ok.
PSS, Dari and Bear's house is stunning!  I'll enjoy my last night here as tomorrow I head to my hostel in Franschoek.   Thanks so much for having me mates!  I cannot thank you enough.

Dari and me at the Navy Pier at Gordon's Bay!  Sharks are right behind us!

Mountains ascending from the sea.

Nothing really.  Just having a killer hair day.  No Big Deal!

Little did we know Chester The Cheetah was about to strike!

Moments before the attack!  Absolutely gorgeous!


The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days


No comments: