Sunday, May 20, 2012


Good Evening,

Today, I did some big time exploring in and around Byron Bay.  Everywhere I looked, my breath was being taken from me.  This place is stunning.  Also, the people here are incredibly good looking.  Like, really,really, ridiculously good looking.  This may also have contributed to my loss of breath.

During my 20 kilometer expedition of Byron Bay's coastline, I ran into two pretty Australian women in their early 20s.  Long story short,  after conversing for a bit, they told me that I reminded them of James Franco from 127 Hours.  It has now been brought to my attention by women in both South Africa and Australia that I remind them of Aron Ralston, the man that inspired Franco's character.  Ralston became trapped while canyoneering in Utah and had to cut his own arm off to escape/survive.   I am not exactly sure what to think of these comparisons, but I'd love to be half as tough as Ralston.

I was down at the beach tonight to read and take in the sunset.  Unfortunately, the clouds had a plan of their own.  Even with the overcast, the sky still turned out to be pretty cool.  Sunset here was like 4:50PM or something.  I keep forgetting it's almost winter here.

I plan to get a jump start on my day tomorrow.  I hope to kiss this hostel good bye around 4AM and hike the 10K back up the coastline to the Byron Lighthouse and take the sunrise in from there!  This is the eastern most point on the entire continent! (not sure how to phrase that)  Keep your fingers crossed that the weather cooperates.

That's all I have for now.  My feet need to go to bed.

Mark/Chops

The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days

PS. Australia is expensive!  I had heard this many times before, but good gracious, it's outrageous!  I just sold a kidney to keep this dream alive. 

Byron's Bay, Australia


Desperately trying to keep the iPod dry!  I don't want to be on iPod #3.

Wollaston Beach, Quincy Massachusetts

Long Distance Tebow!
Eastern Most Point of Australia

Hiked up the cliffs of Byron's Bay!

This is about where I found the two Australian women

Byron Bay Lighthouse.  Hoping to catch the sunrise here tomorrow morning.

Surfer's Sunset



Up Close Tebow

Nature's reading lamp is running out!

Partly Cloudy

1 comment:

jen said...

Hi Mark! Miss you! I am SOOOO jealous of you being in Australia. you've been to a lot of the same places that I went! How about Lake Mackenzie on Fraser Island.....GOREGOUS! and yes, the tiger sharks swim right up to the shore, be more careful!!! lol. Anywho, Bry and I miss ya and hope that you having a blast. VIVA LAFIF!!! :)

PS. I forget where it is, but there is a mountain that you can hike up in that general area-ish (and by that, it could be 200 miles away) where you can hike up at 2am and be the first person in the world to see the sunrise! find a buddy bc its scary in the dark alone, but it's awesome! happy trails!