Wednesday, May 2, 2012

African Safaris are where it's at!




So, yeah… I bet you are wondering who this is.

Well, I was just sitting in the Johannesburg Airport minding my own Ps and Qs while working my way through The Hunger Games when out of the corner of my I eye, I saw something.  The entire terminal had their eyes glued on this young lady and she was walking towards me!  She couldn't be walking towards me I thought.  Oh, but she was.  Good thing I was sitting down.  Otherwise I may have passed out.

Everyone, meet my new friend, Miss Bahamas 2011 and recent Miss Universe contestant Anastagia Pierre.  Anastagia asked take a seat next to me.   Needless to say, I had ZERO objections.  I cannot recall the first 20 minutes of our conversation.  I don't think I said much as I was just trying to stay conscious.  She was catching the same flight as me to Cape Town and meeting up with a half dozen fellow Miss Universe contestants to site see for the week.  I swear, this is 100% TRUE.  I promptly suggested that should they find themselves needing a guide to take them around, I was available.  Funny, my schedule from now until forever just became wide open.  All kidding aside,  It was so great to meet someone like Anastagia.  She is as smart and charming as she is easy on the eyes.  So so nice too.   I couldn't have asked for better company for the end of my 5 day, 2,000+ mile African Safari trip!  Safe travels!  Remember, don't take any trains and go to the top of Table Mountain with your friends and me of course!

Oh by the way, I also need to touch on the fact that I lived out another dream of mine by Going On A Safari In Africa.  It was friggin amazing.  I also met some incredible people. (my partner in crime from Sao Palo Brazil, the one and only Guilherme, Susan from Scotland, Josette and Alexi from NYC, and Elka from Johannesburg.  Friends for life.  I had so much fun with you guys.  Thank you!)  I had the time of my life seeing the most incredible animals!  I could go on for hours about it.  I took several hours of video and 900 pictures.  I wish I had a stronger internet connection to share it all with you but TIA.  THIS IS AFRICA.  Thanks Alexi for that one!  Below is the best I am going to be able to do for the time being.  Credit also needs to go to the aforementioned folks as we pooled together pictures and video.  We were not at the zoo.  These animals were not stopping for pictures.  We had to divide and conquer when necessary! Some pictures were just taking to long to load.  These may not even be the best ones. 

Tracking something that could kill me before I even knew it was there!  Look to the left of my shoe silly!

African Safari Tree Fort Lodging!

Staring contest with a Zebra!

African Elephant giving me The Finger

African Safari Sunrise!  Trying to get the BIG cats out of hiding with my Paw!

Day 1 Safari Crew!

We didn't move until this guy did!

African Safari Sunset

This is a dinosaur.. I mean giraffe
3-Headed Giraffe!

OH, Hello!

5 Feet from these guys!

I was shaking while taking this picture.  20 Feet from me! Unreal

Another Staring Contest! Chops v Lion

9 Lions at The Killing!  Our guide said we could spend a year trying to find this and never see it! Unreal!

We could hear the lions panting.  They eat until exhaustion!

Hungry Hippo

African Elephant imitating The Beatles

Rhino!

Kruger Park Safari Sunset





Some other crazy things from the past few days in no particular order.

1.  I saw a man put a gun to a woman's head today in the township I am teaching in.  My buddy Sintu from Kusasa said it was most likely a drug deal gone bad.  So sad and terrifying.
2. I ate Impala and Kudu for dinner on my Safari.  Google them for clarification.  Both were not bad.
3. Endless hitchhikers simply walk on the highways here.  People by the dozen also sit in truckbeds on the highway
4. Saw a guy hitchhiking in a Santa Claus suit up near Mozambique.  It was at least 80* out.
5. Oh, if you are ever on a Safari in Africa and you feel like mentioning in passing to your guide (who carries a gun) that your waitress at Marc's Tree House happened to be easy on the eyes… keep it to yourself.  It might be his girlfriend!  In my case it was!  What are the odds?? Yikes.
6. Africa LOVES Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson.    


I'll try my best to get some more pictures up and perhaps some video.  However, I am still sick believe it or not and beyond exhausted.  Off to bed.

Mark/Chops

The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days

No comments: