Tuesday, August 14, 2012

INTO THE WILD


Hello all,

Alaska was almost over before it started.  As many of you know, I am addicted to pretzels.  That said, it was an easy choice when being offered my complimentary Alaska Air inflight snack from the lower 48 up to Anchorage.  "Pretzels puhlease ma'am.  Thank you ma'am."  As I tossed back that first and only handful, as those airplane packs are the size of a silver dollar, I had an instant reaction and it wasn't good!  Flight attendant Robynn, yes two Ns, failed to mention that the pretzels were honey mustard flavored!  My brain started firing on all of its tiny pistons for an escape from this living hell.  (Most of you know this, but for those that don't, I'd rather eat a punch to the face or raw sewage before condiments.  They are one of the few things in this world or any other world for that matter, that I am truly afraid of.  The others, pretty women, not the movie, and Chuck Norris)  So what did I do? Well, I instantly unloaded the poison into my seat pocket barf bag, ripped off my jacket as I was now sweating profusely on a freezing cold airplane mind you, ordered cranberry juice on the rocks, and started licking my tongue on my tshirt.  I'm alive.  Barely alive, but alive.

I have landed safe and sound in Anchorage but I'm on the move.  In the morning I am hitch hiking about 40 miles outside of Anchorage to a section of the Iditarod Trail known as Crow Pass.  I will be embarking on a 26 mile 3 day trek taking me through the mountains, across glaciers, and ultimately to and across Eagle River/Glacier Lake!  This stretch is thought to be one of the crown jewels of southeastern Alaska and I cannot wait to give it a go!  I should be back in Anchorage by the end of the week.  Rest assured I have notified the hostel I am staying at of my plans and will be checking in prior to my departure with park rangers at the trailhead.  They will know when I am going in and when I should be out.  I have also taken many proactive measures to handle such things as potential wildlife encounters, temperatures etc.  I have no doubt that this will be a challenge, but it is a challenge I have prepared for.

As my dear friend Kevin Broome pointed out to me, Mark Twain said 

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”  

I'm exploring, living a dream, and can't wait to see what I discover.

Catch ya soon!

Love,
Mark/Chops




HELLO ALASKA!  IT LOOKS HOTTER THAN IT IS! BRRR.

MY DEAR FRIEND GREG CORCORAN IS AS CLOSE TO SUPERMAN AS ANYONE I KNOW.  I'LL TRY AND DO HIM PROUD WITH THE NEW T!  TIME TO BUNDLE UP AND HIT THE TRAIL!

The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days

No comments: