Tuesday, May 7, 2013

600+ SANDBAGS WEIGH APPROXIMATELY 30,000 POUNDS

Evening,

Today my pal Dan and I made our way over to Jack's house.  Jack is 75 years old and had 30,000+ pounds of sandbags surrounding his home like a fortress. They served as a final barrier to keep the flood waters from destroying his home and actually did the trick for the most part!  But it was time for them to go.

Today's project kind of reminded me of my youth, when my brother Brian and I would go out to shovel snowed in driveways in Boston as children.  We would show up to a big driveway and my jaw would drop in disbelief, thinking there is no way a human or two could accomplish the task at hand.  Well, back in those days I'd usually quit halfway through the job and walk home crying.  That, or just go through the motions as Bri did most of the heavy lifting...  Highway robbery that I received $$ for the driveways I watched him shovel.

20 years later...  

There were 600+ sandbags surrounding the home!  One by one, this two man wrecking crew got these things to the street!  After that last bag was hauled out, I grinned from ear to ear.  It felt amazing!  I don't think I quit or cried this time, but I guess Dan is the judge for that.

Great team effort today.  Hauling 600+ 50lb sandbags.  6 year old Juan surprising us with bendy straws for our drinks during water breaks!  It was the most adorable thing I have ever seen!  Jack's grandson Tim for keeping us entertained.  And Jack, our homeowner, for sharing some stories from yesteryear, and lending us his John Deere, as we are continuing to help out the rest of the street this upcoming week.  

I love the Midwest.. If only there was an ocean and some mountains out here.. I might never leave

I'll sleep well tonight.

Mark/Chops

The Future Is No Place To Place Your Better Days


1 SANDBAG DOWN!

2 HOURS INTO IT!  APPROXIMATELY 200 SANDBAGS DOWN! 2 MAN WRECKING CREW!

4 HOURS LATER WITH SOME HELP FROM OUR NEW FRIEND TIM!  600+ SANDBAGS TAKEN TO THE CURB! 
TOTAL TEAM EFFORT.  6YR OLD JUAN KEPT US ON OUR TOES CATCHING TOADS AND RUNNING HOME AND BACK TO SURPRISE US WITH STRAWS DURING OUR WATER BREAK!

OUR HOMEOWNER JACK.  1955 IN FRONT OF HIS HOUSE!  UNBELIEVABLE!

END OF A GREAT DAY IN THE FIELD

No comments: